Welcome! I’m Kate Sutton: a counselor in Raleigh, NC.
By training, I am a licensed clinical mental health counselor. You might also call me an anxiety warrior, heart healer, recovering perfectionist, and rad bodies rebel.
If you’re here, you’re probably looking for counseling services. On the outside, you might look like you’re keeping it all together. No one would know that you’re a bundle of nerves on the inside, constantly battling self-hatred, guilt, or obsessive thoughts and worries. Sometimes the worries are about nothing in particular…more like a cloud looming over most days. Other times, they might have to do with past trauma, an eating disorder, or wishing for a different body.
Does this sound like you? If so, I imagine you’re sick of feeling this way.
Asking for help is hard. I know because I’ve been in your seat, scouring the internet for a counselor because I want my life to feel different. I know from my own recovery and years as a professional counselor that you don’t have to be stuck in these problems forever.
Choosing counseling is a brave choice. I’ve found that my clients are ready to dig deep whether or not they’ve been in therapy before. Underneath the negative self-talk, they are smart, courageous, resilient, and ready to feel joy and connection. I provide guidance and encouragement so folks can stop drowning in fear and stop saying sorry for who they are.
As a rad bodies rebel, I believe that all bodies are good bodies regardless of size, color, shape, sexual orientation, gender identification, ability, status, or access. I will do my best to provide compassionate care that meets you and your body’s story where it is to help you find the healing you need. That said, I don’t prescribe diets and am firmly rooted in a Health at Every Size approach.
What about credentials?
I hold a dual master’s degree in counseling from UNC-Greensboro and I am a Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselor (LCMHC) in North Carolina. My counseling experience comes from working in K-12 schools, colleges, student leadership centers, and mental health agencies. My expertise is counseling children and adults dealing with grief, trauma, anxiety, and body image issues.
Additional training and experience:
- Intuitive Eating Certified Counselor trained by Evelyn Tribole
- Trained in Somatic Experiencing – Intermediate Level
- Trained in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Trained in Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TFCBT) for traumatic grief
- Embodied Recovery Level 1 practitioner
- Reiki Second Degree practitioner
- Certified yoga instructor since 2009
- Speaker at the 2019 North Carolina Counselor’s Association and LPCANC conferences about dismantling weight stigma
- Speaker at the 2018 Carolina House Eating Disorder Symposium on yoga for eating disorders